Female Support Worker – Cardiff, Wales
Closing Date: November 1, 2021
Supported Living Female Support Worker
Responsible to: Supported Living Manager
ategi are a not-for-profit support provider, with over 25 years’ experience of supporting people to live their lives, their way in Wales and England. The organisation currently offers three services; Shared Lives, Supported Living and Visiting Support. We support any adult over 18 who needs help to live independently, the services are designed for the specific needs of each person we support.
The kind of person we’re looking for:
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the work we do, and is dedicated to working in social care with demonstrable experience. This role is very person-centred and you’ll need to have excellent communication skills and be able to maintain excellent working relationships whilst upholding ategi’s values. You must be highly motivated and organised with a positive, proactive approach to your work.
We would like you to help us to:
- Increase people’s opportunities for independent living within the community
- Work in partnership with other agencies.
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Help to improve the quality of life for individuals and assist people to utilise/maximise their own skills and development.
About our Supported Living service
We have an opportunity to join one of ategi’s dedicated and passionate teams, Supported Living. As a Support Worker for this team, you’ll have the opportunity really make a difference to people’s lives and join a long-standing team who are committed to providing excellent standards of care that can change people’s lives for the better.
ategi’s Supported Living service offers support to adults who need extra help so they can keep living safely in their own home. Our Support Workers help people to live a normal life, supporting them to achieve their goals, participate in social and leisure activities, we even support people with their education. Our Supported Living staff help people to live happily and safely at home by guiding them in how to look after their house, pay their bills, as well as supporting them to maintain and build happy relationships with others. Our trained Supported Living staff build up the people they support, helping them be part of their community and give them the skills they need to live independently in their home.
Supported Living stories: Trevor
One of our clients, Trevor, used to play golf as a little boy, he even still had a trophy! Trevor used to love golf, so we worked with him to be able to enjoy his passion again. Our Supported Living staff started taking him first to play at pitch and putt, then onto a driving range and finally graduating to Trevor playing at a golf club. By building up Trevor slowly in small stages, our Supported Living staff were able to grow his confidence and his ability, setting him up to succeed.
As well as supporting Trevor to play golf, our Supported Living staff helped him to live happily and safely in his own home. Trevor initially struggled to keep his home clean and tidy, our staff supported him build confidence in his abilities. They started with small tasks, so cleaning one window, vacuuming one room – over time building on this routine and adding to it. Now Trevor is very house proud, he vacuums the whole house and cleans all his windows!
Quote from a family member of one of our service users:
“Trevor is a completely different person as a result of your care and compassion. He has transformed from being a difficult, sometimes unhappy and uncooperative person, prone to outbursts and antisocial behaviour, to someone who is a pleasure to visit and take out for meals and activities… You (and your team) have always treated Trevor with respect and guided him allowing him to become as independent as he can be with his disability and he is now so proud of what he can do ‘by himself’…”
What ategi can offer you:
A competitive Employee Assistance Plan (Health Shield), with a yearly allowance on dental care; optical care; chiropody; general health and wellbeing-related expenses and other services such as GP, counselling and discounts on at least 100 (!) online retailers
- Paid DBS application and renewal.
- Funded CQC/CIW NVQ Training
- To assist with the general support of the service user as per their personal plans and needs assessment. Support their personal development through the implementation of individual personal plans and monitor them.
- To assist with intimate personal care such as personal dressing, personal hygiene, bathing and offer support in a sensitive manner, taking account of the abilities and health & emotional needs of the individual and support them through change and transitions.
- To work closely with other colleagues and co-operate with statutory bodies and other local services to maintain a high standard of service.
- To liaise with families, friends, advocates, external agencies and the staff team to provide a consistent approach that meets individual needs.
- To assist and encourage people to become integrated members of their community by promoting the use of community-based leisure and recreational activities, creating opportunities so that service users develop, establish and maintain personal relationships and social networks.
- To participate in ongoing training in line with ategi’s policies. Successfully complete medication training, as well as to take and pass a medication proficiency test after training has been received.
- To have, or attain, appropriate NVQ/QCF qualifications for the job role.
- To assist in maintaining accurate records i.e., finances, service user personal records, health and safety, monitoring records and any other necessary paperwork in agreement with the line manager.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong personal values – having consideration and showing respect for others / being polite to others.
- Ability to relate well with individuals and to promote equal opportunities and respect diversity, cultures and values and have an interest in hobbies and leisure activities and a willingness to share these with others.
- Be friendly, helpful, kind, caring, honest, and patient.
- Have a full clean driving licence, fully comp insurance (for business use) and are willing to use your own vehicle.
- A satisfactory enhanced disclosure checks via the criminal records bureau (DBS).
- NVQ/QCF level 2 or 3 in Health & Social Care or to work towards completing QCF level 2 or 3 in Health & Social Care.
Based: Grangetown, Cardiff
Hours: 24 hrs per week (Flexibility: the position will be of shifts between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m., 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., and night shifts (without set days including weekends and Bank Holidays)
Salary: £9.50 p/h
To apply for this position please use the APPLY ONLINE link below.Apply Online